If you're the type that recognizes the benefit of discussing things we don't all agree on, and have the ability to laugh at yourself and the world around you, then you've found the right place.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Information Warfare (Part 1 of 2)

I'd like to begin with an issue I see as a major threat to our nation today. It's a concept I call "information warfare". We all know about it, but I think we tend to get so submerged in it over and over, that we become like the frog in the pot that never knows the water is boiling because the temperature is raised so slowly. We're put into such a trance by the fire hose of information that we get numb and let our guard down. It is the opposite problem that a country like Afghanistan has--where a lot of the population lives in rural villages with little to no access to information. As a result, they live and die with little idea about what is really going on in the outside world.

As opposite as our country is in that arena, I feel like we sometimes are SO inundated with information, that we become vulnerable to the same plight as those rural villagers. Our country is among the global elite in terms of the amount, rate, and scope of information available to us. Yet, more and more it seems that the average American has a considerably low level of awareness and understanding about what's going on in the world. Heck, even "informed" Americans are confused because it's a 40-hour a week job trying to sort through all the information out there and build a big picture to determine what is relevant and who is telling you the truth. And if you just take the easy option and watch major news network television, then if you're honest you'll admit that what you're getting, at best, is a largely varying perspective of the "facts", and at worst, different "facts" altogether depending on the network. This is information warfare. It is the result of money and votes being at stake for the prize of your attention.

But unfortunately, it doesn't just stop there. The internet is even worse. In fact, I'm convinced that the internet has the ability to do much more damage (or good) than most of us realize. As an example, during the riots in Iran this past year, did you know that for a day or two, Twitter was literally the ONLY source of information coming out of that country? I recall during that time seeing Twitter postings serve as the sole basis for major network news reporting--wow. Granted, that's an extreme case. But what about the fact that many news-worthy stories FIRST go public via Twitter? Any information outlet like that carries a tremendous amount of influence. This is because not only is it used by millions of people in this country, but it also is viewed as one of the quickest and reliable sources of up-to-the-minute information. This is okay as long as nothing is tampered with.

But what if that trust were to be sabotaged to spread some sort of major lie and caused a public panic? Sure, probably not one person alone, but I'd wager that if a fairly small group of the "right" mixture of people with influence and access to media outlets decided to pull a fast one on us, I wonder if we'd be more vulnerable than we think. Why? Because if you can control information, then you can control people. And though anyone with a computer can post info on the web, ironically, the internet tends to be the medium many people trust more due to the more perceived "personalized environment" it offers. After all, if your best friend Billy Bob next door heard it and passed it on, and you checked it out on snopes.com then it MUST be true, right? Funny thing is some of the most outrageous boneheaded stuff you ever do get sent to you seems to come from your friends and family. This blog is a perfect example. And that is why I wouldn't believe anything I'm writing right now (ha).

These days, I've even gotten to the point where unless the purpose is simply for entertainment value, ANY thing I come across via email forwards from trusted friends and family, or any other internet source that claims to have the "inside story" on an issue, I automatically assume the info to be either distorted, or just outright false (my experience has shown that to be the case WELL over half the time).

Now, don't get me wrong. When I get stuff sent to me, I definitely read it, ponder it, research it....whatever necessary if it seems worthy of such. But, one thing I refuse to do until convinced of it's accuracy is forward stuff like that to others. I especially make it a point NOT to forward emails that say anything suggesting that the failure to do so indicates that I'm not a patriotic American, or that I'm a bad Christian, or that my guardian angel won't protect me anymore. Simply put, any email that contains a sentence that starts with the words, "If you don't forward this email, then...."--that's an automatic DELETE. Anyway, I think you get the general point that we've got some "squirrel-ly" stuff going down in the world of information. And at least partly as a result, we live in a divided country where each side thinks they have the correct perspective and the other side is full of misguided idiots.

So, as Chris Farley posing as a motivational speaker would say, "Now, you might be asking yourself....Hey Matt, how can we get back on the right track?" [feverishly pumping arms around waist in running motion].....Well, I'm glad you asked. But, in the interest of keeping this to one page, I'd like to plan on continuing this discussion in a Part II post. Please feel free to join in as desired.

5 comments:

  1. I cant help but take a little pride in thinking I may have helped you decide to start a blog. Our discussions of how the media misrepresents everything it sends out to the masses and how easily the masses are misled would definitely fall under the catagory of "Information Warfare"! Information, particularly on the web is like the water out of the tap, its never just water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you talk about "Citizens United v Federal Election Commission" in your next post. The Supreme Court has basically decided to effectively end the "information war" by letting corporations dominate the airwaves. Corporations already skew information in their favor via ownership of major news outlets. Now, they can effectively drown out every other voice via unlimited political advertising and contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But what if that trust were to be sabotaged to spread some sort of major lie and caused a public panic? Sure, probably not one person alone, but I'd wager that if a fairly small group of the "right" mixture of people with influence and access to media outlets decided to pull a fast one on us, I wonder if we'd be more vulnerable than we think. Why? Because if you can control information, then you can control people."

    Sounds like the perfect basis for a conspiracy movie plot. Ha... I'm fairly convinced that this notion can be directly applied to "swine flu", and many other things for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Gorilla_Rocket, thanks for posting. But, I have no clue who you are? Please advise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Professor, I probably won't be talking about that case because the focus of what I'm getting at is about what we as individuals can do to protect ourselves regardless of what "the info machine" is doing. We don't have much control over that. I want to encourage good refinement of our info filters so that we can adapt to "the machine".

    ReplyDelete