If you're the type that recognizes the benefit of discussing things we don't all agree on, and have the ability to laugh at yourself and the world around you, then you've found the right place.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gotta Have Faith

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
(Hebrews 11:1 - KJV)

I've been thinking a lot about faith recently. Over the years, I've had many conversations on this topic with non-Christians, and there's one common thread that is always brought up. This is the notion that Christians cannot "prove" that what they believe is true--that Christianity is pretty much based on "blind faith".

On one hand, that can be a pretty intimidating topic to discuss--especially if it catches you off guard. However, as I've grown in my own faith, I've begun to find that discussion more humorous. Not because I've given up on trying to understand it, but rather because when people make comments like that, it's like they're comparing faith to a guy who orders a pink cocktail. Does it taste good? Heck Yeah! But do you really want to be seen by your guy friends carrying it around? Yeeeah.....not so much. So it gets a bad rap as something desirable, yet only if it's not exposed. Furthermore, I've grown to see that someone who tries to avoid faith, (keyword: tries) is someone who is in denial of a significant piece of their humanity.

See, it's no secret that we ALL have faith. I had a conversation the other day about how because I can't "prove" that an event in the Bible happened, I am forced to "faith" it. Well, you got me. I admit that I pretty much "Faith" everything I know about historical events I was not present at. I "Faith" that Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence. I "Faith" that Shakespeare was a playwright that actually existed, and, I even "Faith" that my parents are who they say they are since I've never seen conclusive evidence proving so. And if you've ever watched Jerry Springer, you may just feel the urge to go find that evidence. But, even if I was shown evidence, uh-oh....should I trust it? Oh well, guess I'll have to "Faith" that, too!

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that we just resort to living in such a way that we just start taking in everything that floats past us and just throw it in the 'ole "faith wagon". But, what I am saying is that we need to realize that faith is NOT a scarlet letter! Not only does faith determine our outlook on the world around us, faith is an active and fundamental element of every human's life. It's what drives us to succeed and pursue our dreams. Faith is the ability to stare down a giant when all you're holding in your hand is a rock and a slingshot, and know that you're about to watch that dude FALL DOWN. It was the fuel that inspired the birth of our very nation in defiance of a king, and our faith in the idea of freedom that allows it to continue today. So, I say, the key is not to try to avoid it, but rather embrace it's reality and use it to inspire others for good. In my life, I've found my greatest comfort, strength, and identity by living out my faith in God.

See, it's a living thing. It grows like love grows. Your faith shouldn't be like a heavyweight boxing title--permantly affixed around your neck like a trophy. It's way too valuable to be treated with such pride. Faith has the power to change the world, yet misplaced, it can destroy you and others. It's like fire. So, it must be handled with the "innocence of a dove", yet with the "wisdom of a serpent". You've got to approach it with honesty and humility, even when it hurts to do so. Especially when it comes to the big questions in life, you've got to treat it like you would your heart; as it is truly one of your most precious assets.

As for Christianity being "blind faith", I've come to believe that if faith is "the EVIDENCE of things not seen" (see verse above), then that term is an oxymoron. If I have no evidence to support my belief, then Biblically, I don't really have faith. What I have is "blind belief". The proof is in the pudding, as they say. I'm an absolute believer that the life you live is a tremendous part of that "evidence" stuff I'm talking about. But unfortunately, many people live in blind belief. It's as if they are floating in the ocean with a blindfold on, meanwhile sharks slowly circle their unsuspecting victim. A boat floats by screaming, "YOU ARE IN DANGER! LET ME HELP YOU!" But the person responds indifferently--"Thanks, but no thanks. I'm fine." How do you suppose that person would respond if the blindfold were removed? THAT's the power of faith. It's in aligning your actions with what you claim to believe once you've "seen the light". And nine times out of ten, that's the real "evidence" people are looking for.

So now, I find that when I get into a conversation debating faith, instead of focusing on trying to show "proof" of what I believe, or getting bogged down in debates on evolution, or 100 other surface-level topics, I try to take a different approach. I try to lovingly encourage others to evaluate what they are already putting their faith in. And if I can inspire someone to be willing to go there, then I feel like I've helped shed some light and love toward someone else and strengthened my own faith at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Matt. I agree with you that we all have a great deal of faith; in fact, our "humanity" and lives necessitate that. It was actually non-Christians who helped me become more comfortable with the "faith" aspect of my Christianity. Evangelical events and fads (e.g. Veritas Forum, The Case for Christ, etc) try to comfort believers and arm them for evangelism by grounding the argument in supposedly "objective" evidence. As you point out, there is no such thing. All "evidence" requires faith. You have to believe the source is accurate, untainted, authoritative, etc.

    In a larger sense, our whole lives depend on faith. Every time I walk in a building, I demonstrate faith that its engineers and construction workers did such competent work [years ago] that the building will not fall. Each time I put gas in my car, I exercise faith in oil companies [of all people!], refineries, government regulators, and my car manufacturer [hello, Toyota!] to provide me a product that will move me down the road.

    My faith is so strong in these proximately invisible forces, despite ample evidence of their frequent incompetence, that I do not hesitate to effectively risk my life almost every moment of the day.

    We are creatures of faith, living in a world that is entirely dependent upon that fact. As you said, extending that faith into the spiritual realm of "faith" is quite "reasonable," and certainly noting to be ashamed of.

    ReplyDelete